Alternate title: my baby ate his smash cake with a fork!
365 days. My baby is now a year old and it has been the fastest year of my life. The best year of my life. The most blessed year of my life.
It’s hard to find the right words when describing how amazing this past year as been. (That sentence alone took me three tries to write.) I absolutely love being a mom, John is such an amazing dad, and Xander is the light of both of our lives. We’ve had so many smiles and laughs and memories made forever. Of course there have been tears from everyone too, but those are easily forgotten if one look at Xander’s face.
This past weekend we celebrated Xander birthday. A celebration with Xander eating his smash cake with a fork! It was too funny – he touched the icing a few times and quickly decided he would not be getting his hands dirty! Too funny!
His cake was a gluten free banana muffin made in his favorite springform pan “toy.” We spread the icing on thinly and helped him not really eat much of that part. He did definitely enjoy it!
I had purchased family dinosaur shirts as one of John’s Christmas gifts and we had been waiting for Xander’s birthday to wear them! I definitely like the way we look as a group.
One Year Old Details
- Weight: 20 pounds 2 ounces
- Length: 29.75 inches
- Head Circumference: 46.5 centimeters
- Signs: milk, more, all done, (plus clapping and waving)
- Steps: alllll over the place
- Favorite Foods: salmon, chicken, cheese, broccoli, quinoa, and avocado (most of the time). He’s a really great eater nowadays. He still won’t eat off of a spoon and he won’t eat banana in fruit form, but other than those preferences he will eat pretty much anything. He eats off of a fork now and it’s super cute – I feel like he’s on the earlier end of learning that skill, so that’s neat too.
- Nursing: 5-6 times/day.
- Introduction of milk: not happening anytime soon. We talked with our pediatrician at his appointment on Monday and she’s totally on board with breastfeeding past a year. We’re thinking milk introduction at 15 months? Who knows.
Thank you for being a part of this past year of my life with mommy updates, baby updates, and baby talk. I appreciate the excitement and support you have all shown during these amazing changes. Three cheers for beginning year 2! I assume that Xander updates may not happen every month – but we will see how I feel about that when 13 months rolls around.
You’re one year old baby boy! Love you so much!