Tomorrow I will be 38 weeks pregnant – so it’s time to tell you all about week 37!
First of all, someone, please don’t let me where that sweater with my maternity workout pants again – I’m kinda cute in the right picture but have mixed feelings about the left! Okay, now that I’ve got that off my chest, onto the bumpdate!
What’s Up With Baby
- According to What to Expect, baby is still packing on about a half pound a week.
- Baby is rehearsing for his appearance, inhaling and exhaling amniotic fluid – getting his lungs ready for his first breath!
- He is sucking his thumb (to prepare for his first suckle of milk), blinking, and turning from side to side <~~ that I can definitely feel!
What’s Up With Mama
- I’ve had two more rounds of prodromal labor this week, plus zillions of contractions speckled all over the place. Since this tends to happen near bed time, I will time the contractions for about an hour, waiting to see if they get more intense, and then I end up going to bed with the mindset that if it’s labor it’ll wake me up.
- Pregnancy insomnia is sooo annoying. If I’m going to be awake in the middle of the night for gosh knows how long, I’d like to be going into labor or nursing a cute little baby.
- I had a midwife appointment yesterday and received similar stats: still 2-3 cm dilated, now 60% effaced and baby is hanging out at -1/-2 station. It’s interesting how different second time moms can be: your baby can stay floating longer and simply drop when you go into labor and you can dilated a lot longer without being as much as effaced.
- I expect week 38 to bring a baby – mainly based on when Xander arrived – so let’s see what’s happens! Of course since I’m expecting it, it won’t happen, right? 😉 If H2.0 wanted to be exactly like Xander then I would be going into labor Friday and having a baby Saturday.
- Regardless of when baby arrives, my midwives have been fully preparing me for a quick birth. Second babies typically go quickly and since Xander’s labor process was only 7 hours, I know that I have to get the hospital quickly (I have to get antibiotics this time too, so that adds time) and they want me to keep towels/blanket in the car just in case. My midwife delivered a baby Monday in the parking lot!
Moments of the Week
- First snow of the season! I never believe the forecast when Maryland calls for snow, so I was thrilled to see when we actually got some! I’ll post a few pictures of Xander playing the snow in a separate post tonight 🙂
We’re not at the point in pregnancy #2 where we just twiddle our thumbs. I’ve vacuumed the house two weeks in a row, we’ve straightened up the place several times, made a donation trip to Salvation Army, and have added a few frozen meals to our packed freezer. I was a bit nervous with the snowy weather this past week as I was sure that Katie would go into labor at the most inopportune time. Katie wasn’t helping my anxiety by commenting how much she just wants the baby out and at every contraction, when I asked “is everything okay?: her response was always “I’ll know soon, maybe we should make sure our bags are ready.” Fortunately we made it through the rough weather sand baby so now the little guy can come at any time (especially before calendar year 2014).
Hope you enjoyed the recap! If you have any questions for me or John along the way, please don’t hesitate to ask! <3