There’s a mess on the counter and some at your feet, too.
There are sticky hands and dirty aprons.
But there are proud smiles and excited tummies.
That proud feeling is what we kept seeing from Lincoln. He loved participating in anything in the kitchen and he would get so excited that he helped contribute to the family meal. It will take a little more time and provide a little more mess, but I love seeing his beaming expression when he sees the finished product or knows that the whole family is eating his meal that he made for the night.
When I learned about Raddish Kids Cooking Club, I knew this could be fun for him. I posed it to my mom for a birthday gift when he turned four and she loved the idea. We’ve received four boxes so far and have been nothing but impressed. Like super impressed. I knew I should write a post about it – it’s a wonderful and different gift for that special child in your life.
Raddish is for all kiddos. Aged 4-6 can work alongside an adult and older kiddos aged 7-12 can start to explore their independence in the kitchen. With Lincoln being a new 4, this is something we do together and we spread out the three recipes that come in each box to be made on different days. We’ve attempted all three recipes in the same day but he usually gets burnt out on focusing for that long.
One thing that people always ask when I post these on Instagram stories is, “Does the food come with the box?” That answer is no, BUT what does come in the box is amazing:
- 3 illustrated recipe guides: Each step comes with pictures! And the recipe guides are laminated – great for spills and wiping messiness off!
- 3 culinary skill cards
- A creative kitchen project: These are always so fun! In the Holiday Bake Shop box it was a giftable cookies in a jar project! It even came with a tag for gifting.
- Kid-friendly tools: Which you’ll get to use for one of the recipes! We’ve received silicon muffin liners for muffins, a ladle for soup, a whisk… and more! They’re so fun and Lincoln loves seeing what the special item will be.
- Table talk cards: Which we LOVE and are a great conversation starter for topics we may not have discussed as a family yet
- Iron-on Raddish patch: We finally ironed on L’s patches and he’s excited to see the apron grow!
- Grocery store shopping list: You will also get this early via email so you can plan ahead and have the ingredients at home when the box arrives!
- And more!!!! … Apron, homeschool lesson plans, bonus bites, etc!!
Each box is also themed. We’ve had Holiday Bake Shop (December), Diner Themed (January), Love Themed (February), and St. Patrick’s Day Themed (March). The recipes are top notch. Like legitimately I will repeat making the meals even if no kid wants to help me – that good. I think that’s one of the things that impressed me the most. It’s not like these are “kid foods,” because what is a “kid food” anyway? These are actual delicious family meals that the kid will learn valuable culinary skills by preparing.
And I personally enjoy the bonding time to help Lincoln craft each meal. We’ve been saving them for the weekend where we can have undivided attention together while John takes care of the other boys. And this past March we even invited the neighbors over and Lincoln thought that was just the best thing ever. “Are they coming? I don’t see them walking over. THEY ARE COMING!!!”
Kids in the kitchen – I encourage this at a young age. It helps kids gain confidence, excites them to try what they’ve cooked, and teaches basic science and math concepts at the same time. I highly recommend getting your kids involved in your cooking if you haven’t yet! The Raddish Kids Facebook Page has recipe samples and live recipe follow-a-longs from time to time – it’s definitely a page to check out!
Our boxes come with a referral code – which I’m actually not sure how it works for us on our end since it’s a gift subscription, but YOU can get a $10 credit with code D2MKDD even if it doesn’t end up giving my mom the other $10 credit. I suppose we will find out what happens if someone opts to get this as a gift – which by now you know, we highly recommend.
Questions? I can help answer from our experience!!